Hi there, welcome to the Agents of Game guide for the Athlete merit badge in Fallout 76. This is arguably the easiest, and most straightforward of the merit badges, but hey, this guide is here if anyone wants it. The trickiest part of this merit badge, for some characters at least, is getting at least five strength and five agility. My sniper, for example, has only a base of two strength, but luckily, the requirements don’t care about your base stats. It counts (as far as we can tell) anything that boosts your stats, including the Herd Mentality mutation, alcohol, perks, etcetera.
Next is the knowledge exam at Camp Lewis, in the same spot as all of the other knowledge exams. There are some sample questions and answers in our video guide, but the questions aren’t always the same every time you take an exam. If you’re looking for the full list of answers, you can find them down below in the expandable tab.
After you finish the exam (or before, if you feel like throwing caution to the wind), there are three agility courses around the map, but they are much easier than the course at Camp McClintock. You can do them in any order in which you please, and, as always, if you fail, you can just try again. The Sunnytop Ski course has loads of traps, but given that the spawn point essentially puts you at the end of the course, it’s easy to clear the traps and scorched as you go up the hill, so you have a clear path going back down. Just don’t marsupial jump yourself to a set of broken legs. They give you enough time for this that you could literally walk from the start to the finish if you wanted to.
New River Gorge Bridge has a slight risk of falling, as well as a few weak enemies, so I’d recommend starting at the west end of the bridge (if you have that fast travel spot unlocked), clearing everything and becoming a bit familiar with what you’re going to run, then begin at the start, at the east end of the bridge. As with the previous course, as long as you don’t fall off, you don’t even have to run to finish this course.
Lastly, there’s the course at Camp Venture, which you’ll recognize as the turn-in for technical data. Just clear out the scorched, go up the hill to where you activated the vertibot for what I believe was the Missing Persons side quest, and turn a bit left and you’re at the end of the race. Just follow the flags to get to the beginning, and run the course. This one actually requires trying, but once you get the idea of where you’re going, and as long as you neither fall nor go past a checkpoint before it registers, you’ve got this. And that, my friends, is the Athlete merit badge done and dusted.
- Alfonso is interested in football. He’s a tall natural leader with a strong arm, and he knows every play in the book. What position would be best for Alfonso?
- As a cross country runner, you might be called a “harrier”. What is a harrier?
- A dog
- Barry is a strong baseball player who hits lots of home runs. What’s the highest number of runs Barry can score on a single home run?
- Before a friendly kickball match, Samuel offers you a suspicious looking pill that you think may be Buffout. How do you respond?
- Refuse and report him to the Scoutmaster
- Brendan is a fast runner. Really fast! He might even run in the Olympics someday. Which sprinting event should he NOT train for if he wants to run an Olympic event?
- 10000 meter dash
- Hannah is training for a pentathlon, an event used to prepare athletes for the rigors of warfare. How many sports will she need to train for in order to compete?
- James wants to join the Army and fight the Reds, but he’s out of shape. Eventually, he’ll have to pass the Army’s physical fitness test, which could be hard for him. Which of the following does he NOT he have to worry about being in the test?
- Like to throw things? Who doesn’t! In fact, there’s probably a sport for throwing your favorite object. Which of these is thrown for sport?
- Mark’s favorite athletic event is wrestling. He idolizes famous wrestlers and wants to wrestle just like them. Which of these US Presidents has a reputation as a wrestler?
- Abraham Lincoln
- Most athletes bulk up by lifting weights, but weightlifting itself is a competition as well! Only a few lifts are used in Olympic weightlifting, however. Which of these lifts is no longer used?
- The clean and jerk
- Ricky loves riding his bicycle. He rides so much, he could probably compete in a Grand Tour! But there are a lot of stages to each Grand Tour event. How many?
- Susie is taking part in a long jump competition. She takes a running start, but stumbles at the last minute and only makes it three feet! How embarrassing, when the longest long jumpers can jump how far?
- 29 feet
- The “shot put” event uses a heavy sphere called a “shot”. What do you do to the “shot” in this event?
- Put it
- You’re competing in a track and field race and have lined up at the starting line. An official will signal to begin. How does he do this?
- Firing a starting gun
- You’re entering a marathon for charity and are set to run on the streets of Charleston. How far will you be running?
- 26.219 miles
- You’re going rock climbing with Mary, when she slips and begins to fall! Luckily, she’s brought to a stop by a device attached to her rope. What is this device called?
- A belay device
- You’re on first base in a baseball game and decide to steal second base. How far do you have to run to get there?
- 90 feet
- You’re playing ice hockey, and after checking a star player into the boards you’re approached by a menacing figure who picks a fight with you. What is the name of this person’s unofficial role on a hockey team?
- You’re training for a marathon, and decide to push yourself to see how long you can run. Despite your best efforts, you can only go so far. What substance builds up in your muscles and causes this?
- Lactic acid
- You’ve been running laps around the Charleston capital building for exercise and have noticed that after running long enough you start to feel really good. What is this sensation called?
- Runner’s high